While configuring the router, you will be prompted to set SSID as well as password for it. This can be done quite easily through standard steps mentioned online. You can give any name you want to router but must satisfy the condition that it should not match with any other SSID.
There are some pre-requisites or you can say restrictions which must be kept in mind during the router setup.
- The name should be between 31 characters.
- The password must be more than 8 characters.
- Don’t leave any space amid two characters in a password.
Reusing older name and password
In case there is any router configured on network and you want to keep the same name and password for new Google WiFi Support router, then the smart devices will start connecting to new router automatically. However, you can connect to the old router manually.
Important: Using the old router with a new router may create interference and you will find a problem in using it. The devices will keep on interpreting both the routers and some will connect to new and some with old. So, to impinge the situation, you must use the routers in bridge mode. Here, the existing router will work as a bridge for a new router. The complete details on how to setup router in bridge mode can be read online.
After successfully configuring the router, you can change the password of your network. It is essential to change the password after a regular interval of time otherwise, intruders can easily get into the network and steal your personal information. The steps to change the password are mentioned below:
The password is case-sensitive and is always comprises of numbers and letters. There are some limitations which must be kept in mind while setting up a new password.
- The minimum characters should not be less than 6.
- No space allowed in-between two characters.
- Don’t enter any special character in the password.
Procedure to change the Wi-Fi password is:
- Open Google Wi-Fi app.
- Go to ‘Settings’> ‘General’> ‘Network’.
- From ‘Network’, click on ‘Network name’ you want to change.
- Go to ‘Password’ from the top corner of the window.
- Enter the password carefully and don’t enter the different password in 2 different boxes. You can cross-check the password by clicking on ‘Show password’. This will display the password you have just entered in both the boxes.
- Click to ‘Save’.
This is the complete procedure for defining the name and password of your Google Home WiFi Setup router. If you want to change the password thereafter, then follow the steps given above.